Have I done one of these before?
Some miscellaneous facts that I have uncovered across Wikipedia:
- The City of Canada Bay is not in Canada – it is a Local Government Area located in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia that was created in the year 2000.
- When a top secret 1950s military project file detailing a chicken-powered underground tactical nuclear weapon, “Blue Peacock“, was declassified by the British government on April 1, 2004, it was initially presumed to be an April Fool’s Day joke … it wasn’t.
- The name for Inner Mongolia, an autonomous region of China, in the Mongolian language is öbör mongγol which could be transliterated at “breast mongolia“.
- Some plants in arid conditions use a specialised adpative metabolic pathway, Crassulacean acid metabolism (CAM) photosynthesis, that allows them to fix carbon dioxide at night, and leave their stomata closed during the day.
- NASA astronaut Edgar Dean Mitchell takes the prize for being the ultimate space cadet – although holding a doctorate in science and being the sixth man to walk on the moon, Mitchell is an avid believer in paranormal activity including psychic powers, UFOs and extraterrestrial life.
My current “Did You Know” factbox is on my public Wikispace.